Why do people switch careers? There could be a hundred reasons why this happens but it’s just usually due to one thing – CHANGE. As the wise Greek philosopher, Heraclitus once said, “The only thing that Is constant is change.” We all face changes in different aspects of our daily life in some way and perhaps sometimes, we might not even see them clearly but these changes are occurring nonetheless. We get older, our needs and interests often change and this could trigger a domino effect of other related changes. It’s simply inevitable.
Focus on Building Career 2.0
- Start with an honest self-assessment. Have you truly discovered your true calling? Before you jump into a completely different career, make sure you have determined the type of work that you really want to do so you won’t regret your decisions.
- Gain the necessary skills and additional qualifications by upskilling and/or retraining. Read more about upskilling or reskilling here. Professional qualifications matter – Nationally recognised and accredited training is definitely highly valued and can be extremely rewarding on so many levels.
You can read more about this topic here.
- Brush up on your interview skills. Click here to view the essential job interview checklist.
- Career transitions are possible at any age. No matter how old you are, you have to be flexible and adaptable. These are two very important skills that employers value in a candidate. You might not have enough experience in the role that you want to apply for, but your attitude can make a difference. Have an agile mindset.
- Craft a sustainable career for yourself. Job search and career management are constantly changing and they are typically due to shifts in the economy, technology, and other key events. “A sustainable career is dynamic and flexible; it features continuous learning, periodic renewal, the security that comes from employability, and a harmonious fit with your skills, interests, and values. Read more about it here.
Be aware of your real goals and aspirations to create a brand new professional life. Pursue what you truly love and be willing to start over. It’s the season of change – a time for a fresh start!
Building a new career is not easy. It could be very scary at first and you may also commit a lot of mistakes, but it’s not impossible to achieve! If you don’t do it now, you could be stuck in the same spot forever! Is self-doubt holding you back? Try to overcome and conquer your fears, break out of your comfort zone, and eventually, you will gain the confidence you need to succeed.
It’s time for a fresh start! Enrol now & get 20% off* your online course.